- Ruby on Rails is more object-oriented than PHP, thus providing all the inherent advantages of an object-oriented language such as simplicity, modularity, modifiability, extensibility, maintainability and re-usability.
- Ruby on Rails is a web framework whereas PHP is only a scripting language.
- Ruby on Rails includes a web server for development, whereas a web server has to be installed for PHP.
- Ruby on Rails implements the Model-View-Controller (MVC)architecture, whereas the MVC architecture has to be implemented externally in PHP.
- Ruby on Rails framework provides the Create-Read-Update-Delete (CRUD) functionality, PHP doesn’t.
- Java has advantages over Ruby on Rails in scalability, security,transaction management and availability of development tools.
- Ruby onRails has advantages over Java in simplicity, development speed, and maintainability.
- Ruby on Rails provides a tightly coupled web framework consisting of a persistence framework, a web application framework, and a Web Services framework. The J2EE application framework is not as seamless as Ruby on Rails and requires much more configuration.
- Ruby on Rails also has the advantage of being dynamically typed, while Java is statically typed.
ONE IMPORTANT THING WHICH MUST BE NOTED ACCORDING TO ME IS THAT WE CAN HAVE A JAVA OR PHP DEVELOPER AT A STONES THROW BUT THAT’S NOT THE CASE WITH RUBY ON RAILS.