The main advantages of LaTeX over normal word processors are the following:
- Professionally crafted layouts are available, which make a document really look as if “printed.”
- The typesetting of mathematical formulae is supported in a convenient way.
- Users only need to learn a few easy-to-understand commands that specify the logical structure of a document. They almost never need to tinker with the actual layout of the document.
- Even complex structures such as footnotes, references, table of contents, and bibliographies can be generated easily.
- Free add-on packages exist for many typographical tasks not directly supported by basic L TEX. For example, packages are available to include PostScript graphics or to typeset bibliographies conforming to exact standards.
- LaTeX encourages authors to write well-structured texts, because this is how L TEX works—by specifying structure.TEX, the formatting engine of LaTeX 2ε , is highly portable and free. Therefore the system runs on almost any hardware platform available.
The main dis-advantages of LaTeX over normal word processors are the following:
- LaTeX does not work well for people who have sold their souls . . .
- Although some parameters can be adjusted within a predefined document layout, the design of a whole new layout is difficult and takes a
- lot of time.
- It is very hard to write unstructured and disorganized documents.
- Your hamster might, despite some encouraging first steps, never be able to fully grasp the concept of Logical Markup.