|Document Class Name||Usage/meaning|
|article||for articles in scientific journals, presentations, short reports, pro-
gram documentation, invitations, . . .
|proc||a class for proceedings based on the article class.|
|minimal||is as small as it can get. It only sets a page size and a base font. It
is mainly used for debugging purposes.
|report|| for longer reports containing several chapters, small books, PhD
theses, . . .
|book||for real books|
|slides|| for slides. The class uses big sans serif letters. You might want to
consider using the Beamer class instead.
The main advantages of LaTeX over normal word processors are the following:
- Professionally crafted layouts are available, which make a document really look as if “printed.”
- The typesetting of mathematical formulae is supported in a convenient way.
- Users only need to learn a few easy-to-understand commands that specify the logical structure of a document. They almost never need to tinker with the actual layout of the document.
- Even complex structures such as footnotes, references, table of contents, and bibliographies can be generated easily.
- Free add-on packages exist for many typographical tasks not directly supported by basic L TEX. For example, packages are available to include PostScript graphics or to typeset bibliographies conforming to exact standards.
- LaTeX encourages authors to write well-structured texts, because this is how L TEX works—by specifying structure.TEX, the formatting engine of LaTeX 2ε , is highly portable and free. Therefore the system runs on almost any hardware platform available.
The main dis-advantages of LaTeX over normal word processors are the following:
- LaTeX does not work well for people who have sold their souls . . .
- Although some parameters can be adjusted within a predefined document layout, the design of a whole new layout is difficult and takes a
- lot of time.
- It is very hard to write unstructured and disorganized documents.
- Your hamster might, despite some encouraging first steps, never be able to fully grasp the concept of Logical Markup.